- A prevention bundle was implemented for orthopedic MRSA SSIs.
- The bundle reinforced contact precaution and AMP stewardship.
- The MRSA SSI rate correlated negatively with cefazolin AUD.
- Prolonged AMP may increase the risk of MRSA SSI.
- The bundle was associated with the decrease in the incidence of MRSA SSIs.
Full reference:Kawamura, H et al.A bundle that includes active surveillance, contact precaution for carriers, and cefazolin-based antimicrobial prophylaxis prevents methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in clean orthopedic surgery. American Journal of Infection Control. Available online 30 October 2015